Without a doubt, we are in preparation mode. Lists are being created, trunks are being pulled out of storage, and we are checking our closets to be sure we don’t miss anything for Kamp. If you happened to miss it last week, we posted a blog on what and how to pack, which is full of great tips from seasoned Kamp moms. Don’t forget to check out our website as well, where we have created specific lists for each Kamp.
One of the best things to prepare for Kamp are costumes for the Theme Parties! We have so many Parties, and it can become overwhelming when trying to decide what costume to bring. To help make decisions easier, check out our Pinterest page with ideas for costumes.
While preparing our bags is a vital step in preparing for Kamp, we must also take the time to prepare our hearts. There is so much in store for what God has planned for each one of us individually this summer, whether you are a Kamper or a parent. Just like we are equipping you with packing lists, we want to equip you with prayer and scripture for the journey ahead.
Ways to Prepare your Heart
· Start praying and dreaming with God about Kamp and all the fun that awaits you. Pray for all the friends you will meet and for your Kamp counselor.
· Spend time everyday in His Word and listen to what He wants to share with you. You’ll be amazed at how just reading the Bible can help fill your heart with peace and joy.
· Be in the present moment. Enjoy today and the fun activities that you are participating in as the school year comes to an end. When you practice being present in your current circumstances, it can help you be present when what you’re looking forward to arrives—like Kamp!
· Resolve any conflict you have so you can allow peace to enter your heart. Having peace in your home community now will help you fully engage with all the Kamp activities and relationships.
· Start trying new things! When you break away from your comfort zone, you grow.
Doing this now at home can help you prepare to do more brave and exciting things this summer at Kanakuk.
Putting all of the above into practice is great, but the second point is one of the most practical and important tools to prepare your heart. God’s Word is rich with wisdom. Just speaking verses out loud has power to transform our hearts. Below are some of our favorite verses to recite when preparing our hearts for what’s to come.
Scripture to Prepare our Hearts
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.” Revelations 3:20
“Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established.” Proverbs 16:3
“For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
“There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1
Know that every day we are praying for you and your family to stay safe, have fun and grow closer to God. We want to share a prayer with you leading up to Kamp. Please join us in asking God for these things for your Kamper or yourself.
Prayer to Prepare our Hearts
Dear Lord, thank you for preparing the way for me. Thank you for the opportunity to go to Kamp this summer and be surrounded by people who know and love you. You are the best friend and the best example of friendship. Let the friends I meet this summer see you through me and help me to see you through them, too. I also pray for my counselor that you keep him/her safe and guide him/her closer to you so that he/she may lead. I’m so excited to have fun this summer. Help me to have courage to try new things . God, I know you have big things in store this summer not just for me, but for everyone else. I ask that you open my heart to grow and learn through all the great things you have in store for this summer, especially a closer relationship with you. Let this be a time of rejuvenation and hunger for more of You. I ask for safe travels for every Kamper and their families as they travel to and from Kamp this summer. Put your angels around every car and plane. Thank you for your constant goodness! In Jesus’ Name, amen.
What are some other ways we can prepare our hearts this summer?